Monday, November 28, 2011

D1NZ Round 2 Pukekohe

Hey how's it every one! D1NZ Round 2 happened over the weekend and what a crazy few days it was. I got out on the track Friday morning, did 3 average runs then got told off for being over the track's 95db noise limit... along with about 20 other cars. That meant I spent the rest of the day trying to shut the car up, while still keeping some horsepower to get around the track.

After welding a new pipe on the muffler I'd had enough and went out on the track and it was all good. I didn't get told off, and laid down some really soild runs while following Gaz Whiter to get my entry speed right.

Saturday morning was looking like it was going to be a great day, with clear skies and the wind up meaning the homos with their noise meter couldnt get good readings and wouldn't be on track for the day. But it all changed when the screw out of the throttle butterfly came out and went through the motor.

It must have gotten stuck under the valve and caused the rocker to pop off. I fixed that then it still wouldn't run right, pulled the sparkplug out and oh sh*t that was all messed up from the screw bouncing around in the head! Turns out that tiny screw bouncing around had messed up #4 piston and spark plug, such a crazy little thing to happen! I fixed it and went out and did 1 qualifying run. It was ok but I wasnt super happy with it, but didn't want to do any more runs in case I messed up the motor for battles. As it turns out my run was good enough 7th place in qualifying - so pretty stoked for straight out of the gate!

Stopping for lunch, the pits opened up to the fans and it was great! I had so many people of all ages coming up and saying hello, wanting posters, having a sit in the car and just wanting photos of me and the car. I signed and gave away 100 posters and ran out about half way through the pit walk! Really stoked with the fan base the car and my driving is attracting this season.

Promo girls hhhmmmmm what can i say,  WOW!!!

Into the top 16! After our top 16 parade lap and burnout, it was into the first battles. I went up against Mark Burling in his new S15. After the 1st ran the car started missing again really bad, by this stage in the day I was so over the stupid motor so just kept driving it. My chase run with Mark was pretty crap as the car was struggling to stay on boost running on 3 cylinders but lucky we got a re-run and i just went for it, making it through to the top 8. I was up against Darren Benjamin (who was #1 qualifier), he led 1st and I made a big mistake around the sweeper and the motor died and didnt want to run any more... I got it started and couldn't carry on the way the beaten motor was going so returned to the pits and Darren went through to the top 4 and went on to 3rd place over all - CONGRATULATIONS Darren - pleased the new Rookies in the D1 this year are showing a lot of people how it's done!

What a weekend! I ended up placing 6th on the day, not too bad after doing four runs on 3 cylinders. Lucky I managed to keep it on the pipe and on the track, stoked with the outcome after all that went on over the weekend!

Cant wait for round 3 Taupo I  love that track!!!!

A huge thanks to Ryan Sun at Luxury Sports, Alcotane Racing Fuels, Adens Trye Shop, Sinco Customs, Rachael at Catapult Creative, Shred Motorsport, WAL Engineering - without you guys I couldn't do what I do, so thanks a lot!!

No comments: